Are you ready to put your squash skills up to the test? Do want to represent the Squash Club as part of a team? Have you dreamt of seeing your name on a blue premiership flag on Club’s Wall of Glory? If the answer to those questions is yes, joining a Squash Club pennant team is for you!
Individuals of all abilities are encouraged to come down and join others looking for a team. Alternatively, you are welcome to make your own team with a group of friends. With our fantastic benefits and low cost memberships, Monash is a great place to play competitive squash.
The club has teams competing in the Victorian State Open League and Southern Squash League (SSL).
Get in contact with the Pennant Coordinator to express your interest or if you have any questions!
Here is a short summary of what’s involved in pennant:
- Open SSL + State Open leagues are open to players of all skill level, male and female. In addition, there is a Woman’s Open SSL league available.
- Each year there are normally 3 seasons (Summer, Winter, Autumn) for Mixed Open SSL / Open State. Woman’s Open SSL has only 2 seasons (Autumn, Spring).
- Each season typically is 10-15 weeks long with a few weeks of finals rounds immediately afterwards.
- Teams of 3 or 4 players complete once per week. A team will typically have 5-6 players in total which are rotated week-by-week by the team captain.
- The leagues are divided in multiple grades for players of all skill level ranging from beginners all the way to advanced.
- Pennant matches are played each week typically starting at 7 or 7:30pm. Mixed pennant teams play on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Woman’s pennant teams play Mondays or Tuesdays.
- Half of the season’s matches are played at home (Monash Sport) and the other half at other clubs in Melbourne (some travel involved). Carpooling can be arranged with your team mates to help you get to other venues.
- The Squash Club’s Pennant Chair organises teams appropriate for each player aiming for each team to have a chance at making finals.
Upgrading your Social membership to play pennant
Members that purchase a Social membership will need to upgrade to a Pennant membership before playing pennant. To upgrade your membership, please purchase a Pennant Pass that is appropriate to your membership type. That is, if you have a Student Social membership, you should purchase a Student Pennant Pass to upgrade your Social membership to a Pennant membership.
Pennant captain’s handbook
The handbook is essential reading for team captains and players that are new to pennant. It covers how pennant operates and what team captains need to do to ensure smooth operation.